Qualifications for Membership
Membership in The Adventurers’ Club is open to men whose activities are adventurous and take them off the beaten path. Our process is highly selective and only the most adventurous souls are counted as members of the club.
- Visit the Club– The Adventurers’ Club is a social club. We want (require) prospective members to visit. Look up a program you’re interested in. If it’s an open night, you are welcome to make a reservation and attend.
- Socialize with Members– Applications require sponsorship by two members in good standing. You need to get to know some people here. If you’re not especially comfortable with just jumping in, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and the membership chair will help you get your feet wet.
- Get and Application– If you’re a good fit, someone will offer you an application. It is considered faux pas to ask for an application. If you hang around the club long enough, someone will offer you an application. Socialize with members. It will happen.
- Complete and Submit Your Application– Submit your completed application to the membership chair. Your sponsors will let you know who that is.
- Application Review and Interview– The membership committee will review your application and check your references.
- Interview– The membership committee will interview you regarding your qualifications and determine if you meet the standards for membership. The committee will then make a recommendation to the Board of Directors.
- Board Review– The Board of Directors will consider the committee recommendation and review your application. The Board will then vote to approve your membership.
- Induction– If your membership is approved, your sponsors or the membership chair will notify you and schedule your induction. You’ll be formally introduced at a club meeting, assigned a member number, and given a member button, certificate, and copy of our Bylaws.
Types of Membership
- Member– Fully qualified members of the club.
- Associate Member– Those who possess the spirit of adventure and meet all other requirements for active membership but who lack sufficient qualifications in any area.
- Student Member– Fully qualified members less than 26 years of age. These members are eligible for reduced dues.
- Emeritus Member– Members with 20 years of good standing in the club who have retired.
- Honorary Member– Exceptional individuals who have received important awards, public acclaim, or national recognition for an unusually high degree of success in exploration, adventure, scientific discovery, military, or public service. Honorary members must accept their appointment in person at the club.
- Consular Members– Offered to those Consul or Vice Consuls stationed in Los Angeles for the duration of their posting.
Qualifications for Membership
Many people ask what does it take to join the club? Do you have to climb Mt. Everest? Do you have to go to the North Pole, sail around the world, solo, in a boat you made yourself after cutting down the lumber in the North Woods with 18th century tools that you purchased from an antiques dealer in Constantinople? Probably not, but we do seek individuals who are about high-adventure. In an attempt to put perspective on on what we consider “adventurous” we have prepared this list of activities enjoyed by members:
- Racing (boat, plane, car, horse, etc.)
- Rock and Ice Climbing
- Travel to Remote Areas
- Hunting and Fishing
- Remote Photography
- White Water Rafting
- Expeditions to Remote Areas -Peace Corps, Wildlife Experts, Military Servicemen
- Extended Balloon or Glider Trips
- Hang-Gliding and Kite Surfing
- SCUBA in Remote Areas or Great Depths
- Environmental Testing
- Space Exploration
- Test Pilots
- Ultra-Light Pilots
- Treasure Hunters
- Astronauts and Cosmonauts
- Extreme Sports Enthusiasts
- Base Jumping
- Adventure Racing
- Mountain Biking
- Backcountry Skiing/Snowboarding
This list is certainly not complete and is only intended to give prospective members an idea of what the club is about. Prospective members with new approaches to adventure are encouraged to apply. People with an adventurous spirit who have not yet, but plan to (within 2-years) accomplish a challenging adventure may also apply.